When was the last time you really thought about your home security system?
When you bought the house? When you installed it? The last time it acted up and woke you in the middle of the night? No doubt you’ve seen advertisements for “the latest” in DIY and wireless home security systems that allow for mobile control and smarthome features, but have you really considered an upgrade or are you on the fence wondering if the upgrade is actually worth it?
The reality is, if you’ve recently purchased a home with an older security system, or you had a system installed several years ago, it’s time to consider an upgrade for several reasons. The advancements in technology over the past decade mean you have greater options for features in your home security system to help you better monitor and protect your home and your family against modern security challenges. And the good news is, with a few updates, your existing system can actually be converted to the latest technology with a little help.
Why you should upgrade an existing wired security system vs. installing a new one.
Upgrading your wired home security system means your home system can meet the rigors of the 21st century, and you can gain more control of your home’s security and safety.
Here are just a few reasons why you should upgrade:
- Monitor your home from anywhere at any time with smart home capabilities and mobile remote control.
- Save money and eliminate risks of a landline connection that can be tampered with by dropping your phone line and instead connect via a dual path radio using your internet along with a cellular connection.
- Expand your security capabilities with video doorbells, security cameras, wireless sensors, and smart locks.
- Save on energy expenses with mobile control and monitoring of temperature and lighting.
- Add a layer of life protection with fire and CO2 monitoring. (Do you know if your smoke / fire / carbon monoxide detectors are tied into your security system? If not, they should be. We can help.)
- By upgrading your current system vs. installing a new system you save time and money by keeping the components that are already wired in and functioning. Buying and installing new sensors and hardware and removing the current system is unnecessary when it likely has the capability to perform the same functions.
As technology advances, it shines a light on the shortcomings of out‐of‐date security systems. By upgrading your home security system, you gain more functionality and better protection for your home and family.
How to upgrade your existing security system to gain control and access of today’s technology.
Upgrading your existing home security system to go mobile isn’t as daunting as you might think. In fact, most wired home security systems can be upgraded to mobile capability with a few tweaks. Your desired level of control and your system’s brand, model, and age factor into the upgrade capabilities. Here is a brief overview of the steps it would take to upgrade most wired systems to have the mobile functionality you desire.
Your system may require some or all of these steps depending on the factors mentioned above:
1. Control panel upgrade
For older systems lacking smartphone capabilities, a new control panel is likely necessary to get the mobile control. Updating your old panel is a good idea in general because it provides you with more options for features. Any existing devices you have will usually still work with an upgraded control panel.
2. Wireless monitoring upgrade
Previous generations of alarm systems were connected to and sent signals through telephone lines when alarms were tripped. Today, nearly every system (including an existing wired system) has the capability to monitor and send signals via internet and cellular towers. Switching to Cellular and IP monitoring provides an extra level of protection as even a cut telephone line cannot stop the signal should an event occur.
3. Keypad upgrade
Sometimes the only upgrade you need is a new keypad. Touch screen keypads eliminate bulky keypads and offer more features, visibility, control and customization than traditional keypads.
4. Smart home features upgrade
Once your system has been upgraded for mobile capability, you can implement other smart home features like video doorbells, door locks, garage door control, lighting, thermostats, and digital assistants (Alexa, Google Home).
With current technology, you have the power to monitor and protect your home literally at your fingertips, allowing you greater peace of mind and a sense of control knowing your system can handle today’s modern security and life challenges.
If you’re not sure where to start, calling in a professional can help.
CMD Security Solutions is locally owned and operated and has knowledgeable professionals who can perform an assessment of your current system and provide an estimate. If you’re going to make the investment to upgrade, you want to make sure it’s done right. We can help.
Start a conversation today with CMD about upgrading your home security system. Fill out the form below and our home security experts with reach out.